i had a good time shopping yesterday, but i must admit to feeling a little let down with the purse selection – especially at my favorite goodwill. but i was cool with it. every day is not a great day for bags, but the process is usually cathartic and rewarding. yesterday as i was paying for a few items of clothing for my girls, Esmerelda* and i had this exchange:
- Esmerelda: if you come back later, i’ll have some more clothes out.
- me: what about purses?
- Esmerelda: yeah, maybe i’ll have time to put some more purses out. it is looking a little skimpy over there, isn’t it?
- me: i’ll see you later.
but, i didn’t have the chance to get back out there. this goodwill is around the corner from my girls’ old elementary school, where i also used to work. it was easy to scoot in there and check the merch on any day of the week, and even go back after school if there was good stuff for the girls. but it’s 20+ minutes from my house, and i can only justify going out there once a week.
but Esmerelda’s words haunted me. i could’t stop thinking about the fabulous bags in the workroom. there were good bags back there, bags that i would miss if i didn’t make another trip. i tried to talk myself out of going but… well, fast forward to 9am this morning:
- ring, ring – Peony* answers: Goodwill, may i help you?
- me: hi, this is miriam. did Esmerelda put out any purses yesterday?
- Peony: i’m not sure, she’s not here yet.
- me: well, she told me she was going to, and i don’t want to drive all the way out there if she didn’t, i was just there yesterday. i’m the one who comes in on mondays, and sometimes other days…
- Peony: oh, i could tell who you were from your voice. i could always put some purses in a cart and wheel it out…
- me: i’m on the way.
so i went out there, shopped and was at work by 9:55 am. today’s bag is one of the ones i got. yes, i took my stuff out of the other bag i planned to use and rocked this one TODAY. my mom would be so proud – it’s my first spectator bag! she loved spectators almost as much as Aigner, and if it was an Aigner spectator then it was ON. she did have an Aigner navy and white spectator purse and matching shoes. bad to the bone.
this is a tinganello color me classy cross body. it’s retailing on Amazon for $129 and i paid $6 – yes, it was half off purses today. black and white pebbled leather with a convertible strap, making it also a shoulder bag. pockets inside and out, the hardware is on point, zipperd side pouches, as in one on each side – it’s the bomb.
i also scored two more good ones that you will be seeing in the next few days. and, the fossil i kicked to the curb this morning will be back.
it pays to be nice to the workers at your local thrift store. they are often wonderful people – sure, i’ve met a few duds – and when you’re nice to them, they are more willing to be nice to you. i don’t expect special treatment for being kind and respectful, but isn’t it nice to receive it anyway? i LOVE my favorite goodwill! i am truly thankful for goodwill, st. vincent, and other thrift stores that are ministries to the human race. i receive many a blessing thanks to thrift stores and deeply appreciate all involved in getting the products to the floor.
*names changed to protect the hardworking staff at my favorite goodwill